Integrated Healthcare for Children with Developmental Disabilities
Discover how to improve the health and wellbeing of children with developmental disabilities.
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for healthcare professionals who may provide care for children with developmental disabilities, or other groups interested in the healthcare needs of these children. The course will be of particular benefit to:
• Clinicians (e.g. nurses, doctors, allied professionals), community health workers, healthcare managers and Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) staff who provide treatment and care for children with developmental disabilities
• Other clinicians, professionals, researchers and students with an interest in healthcare services for children with developmental disabilities
• Teachers and other educators who want to learn about the health of children with developmental disabilities and their right to education, inclusion and social protection
• Trainers in academic institutions who are aiming to develop a practical course for healthcare providers in their setting
• Parents and relatives of a child with a developmental disability, who may be looking to learn more about a child’s healthcare needs
• Adults with a developmental disability, who may want to understand more about their own health and healthcare services
The course focuses on issues relevant to both high income and low- and middle-income countries and information can be adapted to your personal setting. Course materials will draw on examples from a variety of contexts, including Brazil, UK, India, and Zambia.
We look forward to welcoming learners from across the globe. Our aim is to develop a multidisciplinary network of learners, with a diverse range of experience, from which we all can learn.
What topics will you cover?
Developmental disabilities and their effect on child development and functioning
The importance of early diagnosis and intervention
How to improve health and healthcare access for children with developmental disabilities
How to achieve equal partnership and effective communication in healthcare settings
The importance of family-centred care
The broader needs of children with developmental disabilities, including social inclusion and education
How to establish intersectoral collaboration with other key service providers
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
Describe developmental disability and the impact of impairment and disability on children and their families
Explain how early intervention can improve long-term outcomes for children with developmental disabilities
Investigate the barriers and solutions to improve healthcare access for children with developmental disabilities
Explore the importance of trust and equal partnership with children with developmental disabilities and their families
Reflect on the broader needs and fundamental rights of children with developmental disabilities
Discuss how to collaborate with other service providers