Understanding Insulin and Diabetes – Online Course
Find out about all things insulin, from prescribing for diabetes, insulin types and more, with this online course.
Who is the course for?
This course has been primarily created for healthcare professionals to help reduce concerns around prescribing and managing insulin. However it might be also of interest to people with diabetes who do not have regular access to a healthcare professional and who want to find out more about how insulin works.
What topics will you cover?
• An introduction to insulin and diabetes
• How the body controls blood glucose concentrations
• How insulin works and what happens in diabetes
• Types of insulin available for clinical use
• Clinical indications for using insulin
• Administration of insulin
• Factors affecting insulin performance
• The side effects of insulin
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
Describe how insulin works to control blood glucose levels
Explain why a lack or reduced effectiveness insulin in diabetes results in high blood glucose levels and how long term high blood glucose levels can lead to complications in diabetes
Compare the different types of insulins and their clinical uses
Describe how to prescribe and administer insulin safely
Identify the side effects of insulin and other factors that can affects its clinical performance
Explain how the safe and correct use of insulin can lead to well controlled diabetes and contribute to a good quality of life